Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Personal reflection...


What are some things that you have learned about effective teaching strategies when integrating technology?

            I have learned a great deal in this class! One of the most important areas where I have learned or rather have more appreciation for is in blogging.  I realize that I can use what I have done (turned in assignments via blogs and shared bloggs with other students) in this class.  I had no idea that we were going to use blogs so much, but I am glad we did.  I now see how I can incorporate blogging and having students find their own RSS feeds to follow and respond.  I think this expands what I am doing in my class by just having students answer blogs that I create.  By having students respond to blogs by others, brings more perspectives and different viewpoints into the classroom. I will have to think about how I can do that in my classes next year.
            I also enjoyed the presentation we did in groups.  Every group had a different project so it was interesting to see what others were working on.  While it was challenging to get together with the group because of different schedules and time zones, it forced us to work a bit independently, but also at the same time incorporate what each of us did.  I think this is important for students experience.  They need to learn to work with other people in different situations.  Everyone is on a different schedule and at some point in the future they might be working with others who live in different countries.  With the internet and the technology out there it is possible to do this.  What I also liked about this project is that we then turned it in via a class blog.  We were able to view each other’s projects and then comment on them.  I liked the feedback that the others in the class had to say about the Three Musketeers’ project.  I can see how this would work in my classroom as well.  It would be possible to have my students post projects and then have others comment on them.  This would bring a “real” world feel to the projects.

How did integrating the Internet help you think about and evaluate uses of technology?

            I have learned that I am not useing the internet as much as I should be.  There is so much out there and I have been using it in very limited ways.  In my classrooms I am the one who finds the site, videos, and articles.  I should be relying on my students to find some of their own sources and to help with their own understanding and improve researching skills.  I need to believe that my students are resourceful and can find good sources and information. That way they can find resources that would match his/her interests, but still fits the assignment.  I found blogs and RSS feeds I would have never found if I didn’t take this class.  The only problem is that I can’t keep up with all the readings I have found...but that is what summer is for! I wish I had more time to keep up with all the blogs from people who are doing such great things in education.  I need to just take more time to read a few blogs a week to keep up.
            Another way I thought about the internet is with Diigo.  This is such an amazing resource and I just need to utilize it more with my students.  I think this would be a wonderful way to have my students keep track of their sources and then share them with me as well.  I was also thinking this would be a good way to show students how to take notes on-line.  There are wonderful highlighting tools and “sticky” notes to take notes with.  I think this would benefit my students when they go off to college and need to keep track of sources when writing papers.

Which of the assignments that you turned in do you feel really exemplifies good teaching with technology and why?

            I think the presentation was the one assignment that really exemplifies good teaching with technology.  We had to use information from the Internet, collaborate with fellow students via Google Docs or skype, and then we had to chose the way we were to present via a web 2.0 application or other sources.  I love Google docs in that the group and the teacher can see the progress of the group.  Collaboration this way is a great way to work together to produce a project.  We shared information and ideas and were able to produce a great project.  I also liked to use Skype to actually talk to the group...that way we didn’t have to meet in person.  This is important for students who will have to do this type of collaboration in the future.  My students would benefit from this as well because they are so busy and this might be the only way to get together as a group.  Then we had to combine all parts of our project to make a collective project.  This way everyone was responsible for a part of the project.  Being able to see how the group is progressing is an important way for a teacher to make sure everyone is doing his or her fair share of the project.  In the past it is difficult to make sure everyone was participating...if I were to use Google docs with my group projects I would be able to make sure everyone was doing equal work.
How have you met your goals established in your Personal Growth Plan?

            I do think I have met my goals to incorporate iPads in the classroom.  I am using my iPad to take notes and then post those notes on my website.  The students like the idea of checking their notes with mine.  Also students who are absent like the fact that they can get the notes that they have missed.  I have help students with their iPads to expand their knowledge of different Apps and how to stay organized.
            I also led an iPad workshop at my school’s recent PD days.  I created a blog for teachers who are looking for tips and tricks and App ideas.  I showed teachers tricks about the keyboard...how to split it, insert quotations (without switching boards) and how to get rid of open Apps to save battery life. I also showed teachers an App called Whiteboard.  This App allows a teacher to work the desktop from an iPad.  That way the teacher can walk around the room with the iPad and see what everyone is doing.
            I still need to see what else I can do to utilize my iPad more.  I would like to how workshops with students to show them how to really use their iPad to its fullest potential.  I think I can also do this with iPhones as well. Instead of making students put these devises a way, teachers should be looking at how to utilize them within the classroom.  Teachers are so wary of these devices they should learn how to work together with students and the different technology that is out there.
Do you have any new goals? What are your plans for reaching your new goals and your long-term goals after this course is over?

I do have some new goals.  One of my goals is to continue these classes. I cannot believe how much I do not know, and I thought myself to be pretty tech savvy.  I can see the potential in so many new areas.  I cannot wait to see what the other classes have to offer.  I want my teaching to go further than it is now.  I want to keep up with the educational tech trends. I do want to continue to get a technology masters as I see potential in this type of a degree if I want to ever get out of the teaching profession.
 As I have said before, I really want to see where blogging can be expanded in my classroom.  I am thinking about doing an on-line portfolio with my comp class this year all via a blog. I think they should be able to upload a paper and then reply as they reflect on the different writing they have done this semester.  I also think that Diigo can help my students with researching.  I do not have time to implement this this but I do think I can start using this wonderful site by next fall.  Students do not know to research very well and I think that this is a valuable tool that they could use well into college.  I think that this would also be another good collaboration tool for students.  I liked how our groups in this class had to put different sources on Diigo and use those sources in our project.
I do not like the fact that some teachers use technology as a gimmick.  I think we need to keep up with technology as it is always changing.  We need to keep up and look ahead because our students need  us to do this.  Classes like this are useful for teachers as it gets us to look at some of the tools that are already out there and change the way they are used.  This can only make our lives easier if done correctly. I have a lot of thinking and planning to do this summer.  I want to change the way my virtual classroom looks next fall.  I want to be prepared and to change my assignments and projects and change the way I present information to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment