Monday, March 26, 2012

Social Networking post

After reading about all of the tools available for participating in and creating social networks, create a post of your ideas in your blog on how social networks fit into your workflow, professionally and personally and how you think they fit into the lives of your students and or peers.

I use social networking tools a lot with being a teacher. I use several Nings and am constantly being updated with the newest ideas etc.  I have given several ideas to people and have received great advice and ideas from the English companion Ning.  Our school also has a Ning that all the teachers are connected to as well.  We communicate our department meeting notes via the Ning and there are several Nings that different departments use to share ideas.  The social networking is a great way to share ideas and ask a quick question to peers.

Personally I use the social networking to keep up with old friends, family, and colleagues.  I am constantly receiving updates about my nephew's walking progress or my friends family pictures. I love seeing what everyone is doing and where they are traveling.

For students I know they are constantly on social networking sites.  I think that I would be great to have a class Facebook page.  That way I would be able to update students on test changes, assignments, and students could ask questions about assignments that I could answer or other students.  This would be one way to keep in contact with students.

I could also post articles that everyone could read via the different social networking sites.  Students could also post different articles that they found to the networking site.

I have also used a site called "Fakebook" and with this fake Facebook site I had my students create Facebook profiles for the different characters in Lord of the Flies.  It was a great way for the students to "become" that character and how they would interact via Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment